NEXT EVENTS - FOR FULL DETAILS CLICK HERE
WANT TO JOIN CAMRA CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
NATIONAL NEWS - CHAMPION BEER OF BRITAIN IS ANNOUNCED - Added 08/08/18 1312
The Champion Beer of Britain competition results were announced during the Tuesday session of the Great British Beer Festival held at Olympia, London.
The overall winner was Siren Brewery - Broken Dream Breakfast Stout, a stout with a deep and complex blend of chocolate, coffee and a touch of smoke.
For full details of the other champions click here
LOCAL NEWS - BRIEF SUMMARY OF BRANCH MEETING HELD 26/07/18 MONTEFIORE ARMS - Added 01/08/18 0824
A well attended meeting , here are the bullet points:-
- Finance - a smaller surplus than previous years for the beer festival BUT a surplus which will be returned to CAMRA HO as per protocols
- Membership - Local membership at 572 (slightly down on previous meeting) - National at 192501 (slightly up)
- Social Media - Instagram at 141 followers - Twitter at 484 followers - Facebook at 481 followers - Website front page at 109,949 hits
- Social Secretary - many events planned and already happened - see https://tockify.com/thanetcamra/pinboard for full list
- Pub Update - Bell Inn, Minster Reopened - London Tavern, Margate Freehold up for sale, Neptunes Hall Broadstairs seeking new tenants - Swan, Westgate-on-Sea Freehold up for sale - others discussed but not substantiated (LT/NH/S all showing on businessesforsale.com as of 01/08)
- Brewery Update - Ramsgate Brewery No.5 wins award, launches No.11 - Margate Brewery no date yet - Isla Vale business as usual - Northdown Brewery now brewing and supplying He Bru & Pale Ale Mary - Wantsum business as usual with added beer festival, events planned - By The Mile concentrating on day job at moment - Four Candles business as usual - NauticAles business as usual
- Pub of the Year/Cider Pub of the Year/Good Beer Guide - All nominations received discussed and final lists determined - larger number of volunteer judges - judging to take place with submissions by late Jan/early Feb latest
LOCAL NEWS - SOCIAL EVENT TO HERNE & HERNE BAY REARRANGED - Added 01/08/18 0821
Now happening on Saturday 27th October see https://tockify.com/thanetcamra/pinboard for full details including who is leading the tour.
LOCAL NEWS - SOCIAL EVENT TO HERNE & HERNE BAY POSTPONED - Added 30/07/18 0718
Due to unforseen circumstances the social event planned for Saturday 4th August has been postponed until a date late October/early Novemeber - please check back here for the new date.
LOCAL NEWS - AGENDA FOR MAY MEETING ADDED TO WEBSITE - Added 26/07/18 1320
The agenda is now available for perusal - CLICK HERE
LOCAL NEWS - MINUTES FOR MAY MEETING ADDED TO WEBSITE - Added 20/07/18 1704
The redacted version of the minutes are now available for perusal - CLICK HERE
LOCAL NEWS - LATEST EDITION OF ALE OF THANET NOW ON LINE - Added 03/07/18 0921
CLICK HERE to download the PDF version 2nd Quarter 2018
CLICK HERE to view the ISSUU version 2nd Quarter 2018
LOCAL NEWS - CHANGE OF ROUTE ON NEXT THANET CAMRA SOCIAL 21/07/18 - Added 18/06/18 1357
Meeting at midday we will now start off at Laughing Barrel Micropub before going onto 19th Hole, White Swan, Yard of Ale and Four Candles. For further details click here
LOCAL NEWS - THANET CAMRA BRANCH PUB OF THE YEAR 2019 & GOOD BEER GUIDE - HOW TO NOMINATE - Added 13/06/18 1124
We are now taking nominations for the Thanet Branch Pub of the Year (PotY) 2019. Nominations can be made via the typeform link https://thanetcamra.typeform.com/to/Ip5gBK.
Our Terms and Conditions:
To nominate a pub for PotY you must be a member of the Thanet CAMRA Branch, when nominating online you must include your membership number, found on your Membership card, which also states which Branch you belong to.
Only one nomination per member per category will be allowed. Nominations can be made as above. If you are emailing a nomination it must contain your name, membership number and nominations. Closing date for nominations is the 25th July, for short listing at a Branch Meeting on 26th July 2018. Information provided for nominations will be destroyed once short listing is complete.
Members are invited to nominate their favourite traditional pub, favourite micropub and or favourite Cider Pub – you do not have to vote for all three of these. These nominations will identify the pubs we will take forward to judging.
If you would like to be involved in the judging of the short list please supply your contact details via the same methods as nominations and attend our next Branch Meeting (or contact me direct), please note that licensees and those with a financial interest in a pub are not permitted to judge.
We will have a Traditional Pub of the Year and a Micro-Pub of the Year, only one of these will go forward as our Branch Pub of the Year.
Our Cider Pub of the Year will go forward as our Branch Cider Pub of the Year.
Our Good Beer Guide entries will be selected from those nominees eligible and scoring highest in our Pub of the Year judging.
As Branch Chair, I would like to make it clear that while I compile the results, I do not get involved in the judging process. We have a set of criteria to judge against, our judges should remain ‘silent’ in the role that they are undertaking. Judges who discuss their judging role outside of the committee will have their scores discounted.
Intimidation of any member of Thanet CAMRA regarding this – or any other matter – will not be tolerated. Action will be taken against ANYBODY who initiates any form of intimidation, including via social media and messaging services. Any comments or queries regarding the competition should be raised at a committee meeting.
Jo Walbank – Branch Chair
FOR PREVIOUS NEWS CLICK HERE
What is Real Ale - In the early 1970s CAMRA coined the term 'real ale' to make it easy for people to differentiate between the bland processed beers being pushed by the big brewers and the traditional beers whose very existence was under threat. Real ale, also referred to as cask-conditioned ale, continues to develop its wonderful tastes and aromas in the cask through a process called secondary fermentation.
Except where otherwise indicated, all content © 2016 Thanet Branch of the Campaign for Real Ale
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information on this site is accurate and up to date, no responsibility for errors and omissions can be accepted. The views expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the campaign for Real Ale Ltd